Diversity & Inclusion
GMPA members support a diverse and inclusive resources sector
GMPA members recognize the importance of equality of opportunity by welcoming, attracting and advancing the careers of all members working in the resources sector.
To further their commitment to a diverse and inclusive sector, GMPA members have established dedicated committees as well as resources, initiatives and programs. More information can be found on the websites of GMPA member associations.
AusIMM (Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy)
- AusIMM Council for Diversity and Inclusion Committee was established to recognize the importance in creating equal opportunity by welcoming and advancing the careers of a diverse range of professionals in the mining industry. The Council comprises AusIMM members and industry, representing a cross-section of the resources sector.
- Diversity and Inclusion in Mining is a short course delivering an informed mindset shift to recognize diversity and inclusion as opportunities for positive change and progress. This course helps participants understand diversity and inclusion challenges specific to the mining industry and provides resources, contextualised for the sector by those in the sector.
- International Women’s Day an annual series celebrating achievements of women in resources and empowering professionals to be agents of change for a diverse and inclusive sector.
CIM (Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum)
- Diversity and Inclusion Committee established to encourage diversity and inclusion within CIM and the mining industry at large. A range of resources and information has been produced by the Committee which can be followed on LinkedIn and Facebook. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org
- We Are Mining in 2018, CIM Magazine featured the voices and experiences – both the good and the bad – of women, Indigenous people and people of colour working in the mining industry through a series of Q&As, columns and stories reporting on issues of importance to them.
IOM3 (Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining)
- IOM3Pride is a voluntary committee whose goal is to achieve equality of opportunity professionally for LGBT+ identifying IOM3 members by highlighting issues related to LGBT+ individuals in materials, minerals and mining and supporting equality, diversity, and inclusion within the wider STEM community.
- Women in Materials, Minerals & Mining (WIM3) provides a focus for women members within IOM3 and helps support women in their careers. WIM3 hosts a range of activities for women at all stages of their careers and celebrates International Women in Engineering Day (INWED) on 23 June each year. A range of resources, webinars and newsletters has been developed by WIM3.
- Ethnic Minorities in Materials, Minerals & Mining (EMM3) aims to promote equality of ethnic minorities within the materials, minerals and mining industries. EMM3 is also promoting the creation of inclusive policies within the Institute, as well as raising awareness regarding issues such as unconscious biases in the workplace. For more information email email@example.com
SAIMM (Southern African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy)